Monday, June 15, 2009

SECRET GARDEN PROGRESS UPDATE

Well, summer is upon us and Les has been working hard on our Secret Garden. Tyler asked us to post some pictures of our progress so here they are. These are what our summer pots look like in Arizona. I can honestly say this has been an adjustment for me to figure out what to plant that can tolerate the heat. These are purple and green potato vines, that love the heat, with Az's version of summer snapdragons.
What is hard to remember, is that this was just solid rock. So we are excited about the possibilities here. Les put in an arbor with wisteria growing on both sides, that will enjoy covering the arbor. Then a path of red sandstone as our path. Les has still the dichondra seed to seed on both sides of the path. So that will eventually be a green ground cover on both sides of the path. Just for the record, there will not be any rock as ground cover here. Les finally put down the bags of nutra-mulch he brought from Utah. That is the dressing around the plants.

We have planted a lot of plants, and will continue to add until it is lush with green.

We have an arbor at the end of the path, with plants to also cover the arbor. We planted a plumbago bush, that should eventually cover the air conditioning unit.

This is one thing I am very excited about, we have these grids that have a vine we have planted, and we will train and trim and help cover so all you see is a green grid. We have seen this in someone's yard and liked the way it looks. So we can't wait for it to grow. But we have to remember how plants grow.The first year they sleep, the second year creep, and the third year they leap!


This is full of euonymus bushes, jasmine (which I love the smell of) and green vinca for ground cover.

We have some fresh rosemary, sweet basil and parsley planted on the left side. I love to use these in cooking. It's so nice to go out and just clip off what I need. We also planted some more roses on the left side. So we have a good start. This is on the east side of our house. So it is perfect for growing things. It doesn't get the hot west sun on it. There is still more work to be done. But gardening is definitely a work in progress. There is always more to do.


7 comments:

Michelle said...

I just love it and can't wait to see it progress. We missed you at quilt day but hope your having a good summer.

Anonymous said...

That's an awesome start.. can't wait to see it in a few years. I know it'll be worth all the work you put into it! :0)

Trav and Linds said...

It looks awesome!!! I wish I had you here all of the time to help me with my yard. :)
I love all of new pic's. We had so much fun down there and miss you guys already! We can't wait for you to come visit in a few weeks!!!

Muncher Cruncher said...

It looks so good! I'm always amazed at how good you and dad are at making your house and yard look incredible!!

the medeiros family said...

Elaine...I'm so impressed! Love all the hardscape that has been put it...it will look like a secret garden when it all fills in!

Anonymous said...

I love what you have done and even more since I saw it. Looks great nice work you master gardeners.

Debbie said...

So darn cute!!! Quite creative you are. Can't wait to see it! Happy quilting!